Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy July 4th!

It's kind of interesting to be in another country for July 4th. I miss the fireworks, and as many of you know, I LOVE to be downtown in the middle of everything for Red White and Boom. Tabor and I wished each other a happy 4th, but that was the extent of the holiday celebrations. I guess we did get a little "fireworks" when we went to the local hot sauce factory, Marie Sharp's. GREAT STUFF. Tabor asked for a bottle small enough to carry on the airplane, so he could put it on his airline food. I didn't have the heart to tell him the hot sauce may not be that good on a bag of pretzels.

Today we spent the day with the ladies in the church of Silk Grass. Eight women met with me and Tabor, and we talked about the story of the persistent widow in Luke 18. She was a woman with no status, having no husband to speak for her, coming to this powerful man. Yet because she believed so strongly in what she needed (justice), she came every day asking. What is so important in your life, that you will bring it up to God every day? Job? Circumstances? Love life? The one thing that kept coming up from the ladies today was that they pray for their families to see the love of Christ so that they will come to know Him. Good one!

We took some of the ladies to another village (actually, most of them - 9 people in all in a Toyota XR-7), to invite ladies from that church to share in some stories tomorrow. The goal is to teach them how to do the stories, then they can share the stories with others. The Bible is full of treasures, if we take the time to look.

Tabor is loving the plants and animals here. He discovered a plant that when you touch the leaves, it curls up. He knew all about this plant, having read about it in a book. But today, he discovered that if you touch the stem, the stem actually wilts too. He said that this is the plant's defense mechanism, so that it looks unappetizing to herbivores (his words). We got a demonstration and commentary on my camera, but I didn't have the chip in. We still got it, but it's on the camera memory and I don't have a way to put it on my computer yet. I'll try to see if he can give another demo, then post it to the blog.

Guess what was for dinner? Yep, chicken and rice!! It was great! It was cooked with carrots, onions, green peppers, and some of the spice from Marie Sharp's. I picked some up today, so I'll be sure to try this one out on the unsuspecting people at home!

Tabor is making our tortillas for breakfast tomorrow. He also learned how to light a gas stove with a match. He doesn't like anything potentially dangerous, so this was a big step for him. However, he is very adept at scrambled eggs, and this morning was no exception. Oh, did I mention the mangoes? They were "okay" by Belizian standards, but out of this world for central Ohio!

Thanks for taking the time to check out the blog. More later!!

2 comments:

TygerThom said...

I'm enjoying your blog. It's almost like being there. I can see Tabor understanding the dangers of the gas stove and exercising caution when lighting it. Scramble up some eggs Chef Tabor. One of the few comforts of home you can appreciate over there. Leaf cutters grand caravans flying through the air and the air stip with the split rail fence. What a great experience for Tabor. I hope you haven't added to your bug bite collection. Look forward to the next blog update. Take good care.

Unknown said...

I am guessing this is from Mr. Pibb! Tabor is getting over many of his fears, as am I. Check out Monday's blog!

Leah